Google Need Another Holiday: A Walk Around Liverpool's Waterfront

Monday 19 November 2012

A Walk Around Liverpool's Waterfront

Although my quest is always to visit new places and look at new things, there is one destination that pulls me to it and envelopes me in a warm welcome whenever I visit. That place is Liverpool.


One of Liverpool's iconic Liver Birds sits atop the Royal Liver Building

I haven’t lived in Liverpool for nearly 14 years, and although it’s an easy distance from where I live now, I can no longer honestly call it home. Still, although I left the city, it has never left me and it never will; if you’re familiar with our accent, you’ll know why! I only have to open my mouth and let a few words fall before I’m identified as hailing from the city of Liverpool. They don’t speak Scouse like us anywhere else!

If you've never been to Liverpool, it’s time you gave it a go. The city is thriving and there's never been a better time to visit. I may be completely and unashamedly biased, but these days it’s a city filled with visitors, and for good reason. Oh, and if you're only thinking about The Beatles, think again. Liverpool is also rich in art galleries, museums and is a shoppers paradise. You'll hear more on what there is to love about Liverpool here, in coming posts (and, yes, you'll hear about The Beatles too - we are born knowing the words to every song by the Fab Four in this city)!

It's worth noting, too, that Liverpool is also a city that has come a long way. In 2012 it became the UK’s fastest growing economy outside of London, and in 2011 it was voted the UK’s friendliest city by Condé Nast Traveller for the second year running (see, we’re a friendly bunch! So don’t be afraid to ask us to speak more slowly if our Scouse accent gives you problems)!

And if I haven't convinced you to consider it  for a city break yet, well let me take you on a walk around the waterfront...

The Albert Dock: history, shops, bars, restaurants and luxe living

The old pump house. Now the perfect place for a pint and a pub lunch

Liverpool's memorial to the hard working horses from its dockland heydey

The city's new icons: Love a Superlambanana! See them outside the new waterfront museum
A view of Liverpool's "new" waterfront
The memorial of Captain Frederick "Johnnie" Walker, looks out over the Mersey
The Church of  Our Lady & St Nicholas stands proud among the more recent additions to the skyline
Historic buildings make this a stunning place to stroll around

So if you plan on visiting the UK, give Liverpool a chance to impress you and the locals a chance to welcome you. Be prepared to be impressed and possibly to party into the early hours. It can be a Hard Day's Night after all (I know, I know - I couldn't help it)!

Have you been to Liverpool? Did you enjoy it? Let me know in the comments. As always, I love to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment